Malta is an archipelago composed of five islands located in the Mediterranean Sea, on the European continent, between Italy and Tunisia (North Africa). Three of the five islands are inhabited: Malta, Comino and Gozo.
The island of Malta is the largest and most important, as it houses the city of Valletta, the national capital, in addition to having about 320 ancient monuments inside fortifications. The islands of Malta and Gozo are home to the oldest known human constructions, the Megalithic Temples, considered world heritage sites.
The country is a former British colony, whose independence was obtained on September 24th, 1964. Malta is part of the British Commonwealth, an association formed by the United Kingdom and its former colonies.
The nation has great economic development, with tourism and the textile, naval, food and electronic industries being the basis of the national economy.
Malta is a paradise destination and meets the expectations of all ages. Despite it’s a small island, there is a lot to do in Malta if you plan to do a short or long term studies. Famous for its natural landscapes, the island still offers plenty of entertainment, especially when it comes to nightlife. If you want to study in Malta for more than 90 days, you need to understand how to extend a student visa there.
How does the visa in Malta work?
Tourist Visa (Up to 90 days)
Since December 2015, international students NO longer need a visa to enter Malta to study for up to 90 days. The tourist visa is given at the entrance to Malta after the presentation of the following documents:
• Valid passport;
• Reasons to visit Malta;
• Proof of course enrollment;
• Accommodation address;
• Proof of income to stay in Malta for 90 days;
• Travel Insurance with coverage of at least 30,000 euros.
Study and Work Visa (More than 90 days)
For longer courses, it is necessary to enter the country with a confirmation of enrollment with a maximum duration of 90 days for the tourist visa to be issued at the entrance of the country. Once the course has started, the student needs to apply for a visa extension, in other words, the exchange for the LONG STAY “D” student visa, which will be issued for a maximum stay of 365 days. This visa can only be requested in Malta in case there is no Malta Consulate in the student country.
The student visa for Malta is valid for courses lasting more than 3 months. However, it is necessary to request the same within Malta. It is important to know that the student must study 15 hours per week or more.
International students can study and work in Malta if the course takes more than 90 days. English students in Malta are allowed to work from the 13th week.
With the extended visa approved in Malta, the student can get a job and thus apply for a work permit. The student is allowed to work 20 hours a week legally. The minimum wage is approximately EUR4.60 per hour.
To apply for a visa extension, the student must attend the Central Visa Unit personally, which is Malta’s visa center. It is recommended that the student request the extension of the course in the first 2 weeks after arriving in the country.
Payment of the application fee for this visa in the amount of 66.00 Euros (It might change). This fee must be paid in cash.
It is very important to bring all the documents mentioned below, which must be presented at the chosen school office in the first two weeks, in order to start the visa application process.
The following documents must be submitted:
• Filling out the visa application form;
• Two passport size photos;
• Original passport. This must have the validity of the course that will be studied in the next three months;
• Copy of passport pages;
• Letter of acceptance from the Malta school. The letter must show the amounts paid and detail the course you are taking in Malta for more than 3 months;
• Financial proof to stay in Malta. You must prove that the student has enough money for the full period of the stay. The amount to be shown must correspond to 75% of Malta’s minimum wage for each month of stay. Regarding the costs, this corresponds to 18 Euros per day, if the student has already paid the total period of accommodation, according to the period of the course. Just multiply this daily value times 30 days and then times the months of study in Malta. If the student has not paid the full accommodation period, 30.00 Euros per day must be shown. It is possible to prove this amount through a bank statement from an international account. The statement must show the student’s name and must accompany a debit card that can be used in Malta.
• Proof of accommodation in Malta.
• Health insurance within the rules of the Schengen treaty valid for the period of the course in Malta (minimum coverage of 30,000 euros).
• Return airfare corresponding to the end of the course;
• Payment of the visa application fee
Documents must be in English. The time taken to analyze the visa application is about 4 weeks. During this process the student cannot leave Malta.
The school will deliver the missing documents and review all documents required to process the application.
When all documents are gathered, they must be delivered to the Visa Unit, according to the following times.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: from 9am to 12pm for visa extension requests; from 1pm to 2pm for passport collection. Central Visa Unit.
The duration of the visa will be according to the duration of the course. It is possible to stay in Malta studying English for up to 1 year. After this period, the student must apply for the Residency Visa.
Students from 16 years old are allowed to work, but students aged 16 and 17 must have a parent’s authorization.
Do International Students need any Vaccine?
Malta requires the yellow fever vaccine. Present International Certificate of Vaccination.
WARNING! The minimum visa processing time is 6 weeks and can take up to 16 weeks. Keep in mind that it is not possible to take a holiday outside Malta in the meantime.
To get more information about the student visa to Malta, the courses available, and start an application, you just have to register and choose an education expert to guide you and resolve any concerns you might have, as well as advise you for free even in your visa process.
And the best of all? Using Sofiri is completely free. If you accept an offer at a university or college, you will pay the same fees as if you were going directly to a university. You can start right now by clicking on the next button.
Leave A Comment