Purchasing a medical and travel insurance for international students in New Zealand that covers the duration of your stay is a fundamental requirement for the visa.
What minimum requirements must the medical and travel insurance meet?
The New Zealand government through the Ministry of Education defines the minimum requirements for insurance coverage. There is a great variety of companies where you can acquire the medical and travel insurance, and where you can add components such as the prolongation of your insurance until after you have returned to your country of origin.
The minimum requirements are as follows
- The insurance starts from the day you begin your trip to New Zealand.
- The insurance must be enabled while you are in transit to or from New Zealand.
- The insurance must be in force during your study period.
- The insurance should cover you if you are traveling during the study period outside New Zealand.
- The insurance company must have experience in travel insurance and be ranked among the important ones.
- The insurance company must be available 24/7 for your attention.
- Insurance should have the benefits of control visits, prescriptions, hospitalization (public or private), optometry or dental emergency.
- The insurance should cover 100% of the medical cost.
- The insurance should cover the costs of repatriation (including the transfer of specialists) up to $100,000 NZD.
- If you get a serious illness or die, the insurer must cover the costs of transfer of two family members to and from the city of origin, and the daily accommodation that covers the living costs. In both cases up to $50,000 NZD
- The insurance should cover funeral costs up to $100,000 NZD if the body will not be repatriated.
- If in your country of origin a family member contracts a serious illness or dies, the insurer must cover the cost of your transfer up to $50,000 NZD.
- The insurance coverage must be offered to contractual liability in case of damage to a property up to $2,500,000 NZD.
- The insurance should cover the costs of consultation with a professional if you develop mental illnesses up to $10,000 NZD.
- The insurance must cover lost educational fees due to unforeseen events and not recoverable from any other source up to $50,000 NZD.
- The insurance covers baggage, personal effects that include household items that are brought or purchased in New Zealand, including items such as musical instruments, laptops and sports equipment. Personal effects should be covered while traveling to and from New Zealand, while traveling and while you reside in New Zealand during the study period, up to $3,000 NZD per item.
- The insurance should cover the costs of flight delay up to $2,000 NZD.
- The insurance should cover the costs caused by loss of connection between travel insurance up to $2,000 NZD.
- The insurance provides cash benefits if you are hospitalized in New Zealand during the study period from $100 NZD per day up to a total of $10,000 NZD.
Does Sofiri make it easier?
Sofiri has allied with the Cohort Go, which is a platform that makes it more just, intelligent, and easy to make payments for international students. This allows you to pay your expenses of medical and travel insurance, tuition and other expenses related to the study in your local currency with competitive exchange rates and without extra fees.
Your education expert can request your medical and studies insurance with Uni-Care through Cohort Go.
If you are looking for information about English courses, technical, vocational, undergraduate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree courses in Australia, consider Sofiri. With Sofiri, you can get free advice on courses, help with your application and even assistance with visa where we will help you to purchase your medical and travel insurance. We will walk you through your journey and answer your questions at every step of the way.
And best of all. Using Sofiri is completely free. If you accept an offer at a university or college, you will pay the same rates as if you went directly to a university.
You can start right now by clicking on the next button.
Leave A Comment